To the visitor or newcomer, Cox Green appears to be yet another group of housing estates on the outskirts of a commuter town. A short walk around Cox Green however begins to unveil a few clues to the villages' rural and historical past.
The first known building to be built in Cox Green was a singular rectangular farmhouse around 25 metres long by 7 metres wide, dating from around A.D. 150. The Romano-British farm expanded and survived until about A.D. 450. By the end of its life the farm had grown considerably in size and features including under floor heating and baths. While there may have been small shepherds or woodsman's huts in the area following the demise of the Roman farm, it isn't until 1267 that the next evidence of habitation in Cox Green surfaces. A small piece of land was taken out the Royal Forest of Windsor and given to Queen Eleanor's cook Richard le Norreys named Ocholt or the hall in the oak wood. The family built a large house on the site in the 1400's which still stands today and is known as Ockwells Manor.
Cox Green grew slowly over the next 400 years to become a typically sized English rural village. In the mid 1700's the village consisted of buildings in the roads now named Lock Lane, Cox Green Lane (between Lock Lane and Cox Green Road,) Cox Green Road (which extended to where the railway bridge stands in Norden Road,) Ockwells Road and Kimbers Lane. Like the rest of England the rural economy of the village started to change during the 1800's but although the population's employment changed, the population continued to grow slowly so by 1900 the village had grown with buildings now extending further along Cox Green Lane, Curls Lane and Highfield Lane. The arrival of the railway also gave Cox Green its first boundary. Cox Green's population and buildings then stayed at a steady level until the period following W.W.II when the Larchfield estate was started. The last half of the 20th century saw an explosion of building in the area which has now virtually joined Cox Green, Woodlands Park and Altwood not just together but to Maidenhead as well.
© Cox Green History Society